Non-surgical breast enlargement – the facts

Posted on March 4, 2009

There is increasing interest in non-invasive techniques in order to try and avoid ‘the knife’ and whilst breast implants today are safer, more reliable and longer lasting than ever before there are those who might want to explore alternatives.

As with all areas of cosmetic surgery, there is increasing interest in non-invasive techniques in order to try and avoid ‘the knife’. The idea of being able to change shape or form and look better/younger without going in for surgery is a very attractive one and virtually every area of cosmetic surgery has explored its non-surgical options. Breast surgery is no exception, and whilst breast implants today are safer, more reliable and longer lasting than ever before there are those who might want to explore alternatives.

FAT TRANSFER

Fat transfer is used in all parts of the body to enhance and reshape areas. It is sometimes referred to as Coleman fat transfer after Sydney Coleman – An American plastic surgeon responsible for the popularisation of the technique. The principle is that fat is harvested from one part of the body – typically the abdomen/hips or thighs, processed and then transferred into small syringes and injected in a meticulous fashion into the area to be enhanced.

In order for the procedure to be effective, the fat has to survive – if it doesn’t, it simply disappears. It is thought that probably 70% of the injected fat survives whilst the remaining 30% is lost. There is also variation from individual to individual.

Fat transfer has been used in the breast for some time especially where there has been unevenness between two breasts. However, more recently it has been used for breast enlargement in some specific cases. As always, if you think this is a technique which appeals to you, discuss it with your surgeon at MyBreast who will advise you on your suitability.

Advantages

This is breast enlargement using your own body tissue. There is virtually no scarring – small 1- 2mm incisions at the points where the fat is harvested and at the point where it is injected. Once the fat survives it is there for life. It is ‘natural’ breast enlargement.

Disadvantages

It is only suitable for a select few – those who only want a modest increase in size and whose breast shape is suitable to begin with. Even a modest increase in size requires a lot of fat harvest and so it is not suited for those who are very slim. In terms of surgery, it is a long and laborious process and would probably require a general anaesthetic. Because fat survival is unpredictable it might take more than one sitting to get enough volume.

14 Comments