Pre Surgery Checklist
To ease any worries you have about surgery and to help you look forward to the day itself we’ve put together a list of instructions and advice in the build up to the surgery itself.
We advise following the below instructions before your surgery. Please also keep us informed of your general state of health immediately prior to surgery, for example, if you have contracted a cold, infection or flu.
- We would prefer that you do not take any aspirin or related anti-inflammatory (pain killers), ie Ibuprofen, Voltarol, Nurofen, for two weeks prior to your surgery. In cases where these medicines are prescribed by your doctor, please discuss this with your surgeon before the operation. If painkillers are required, we suggest using paracetamol.
- NOTE: It is imperative that you discuss with your surgeon all medications – including homeopathic remedies – that you have taken during the previous few months, as some may have adverse effects.
- Do not eat, chew or suck any food or beverages for six hours before your surgery. This includes water, gum, mint and sweets.
- If you smoke, follow your surgeon’s instructions prior to surgery. Smoking significantly reduces your body’s ability to heal effectively.
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages for 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Wash your body with antibacterial soap the night before surgery. This helps to rid your body of the naturally occurring bacteria found on the skin’s surface.
- Remove any fingernail and toenail polish. If you wear acrylic nails, ask your surgeon if you have to remove them.
- We suggest that you remove any body piercings prior to admission.
- Please inform us immediately if you become pregnant.
The full surgical fee is required at least 21 days prior to surgery. Regrettably, we will be unable to confirm your theatre booking with the hospital if payment is not made by the due date. This may result in the delay or cancellation of your operation.
Don’t forget to…
- Arrange transport to and from the hospital. It is imperative that you organise travel arrangements and enlist the resources of a reliable adult to be with you for at least 24 hours after surgery.
- Book time off work if necessary.
- Pack an overnight bag. Make sure you pack clothing that is easy to remove, such as a top with either a zip or buttons down the front.
- Wash your hair the night before as you will not be able to do this for some time following surgery.
- Stock your cupboards and fridge with essentials and plenty of fresh foods as you probably won’t feel like going shopping for a day or two.
- Ensure you have a good supply of books, magazines and DVDs to keep you occupied during your recovery.
- Be up to date with household chores (or enlist help from family and friends) so you don’t have to worry about them post-surgery.
- Have plenty of pillows to prop you up while you sleep or purchase a surgery pillow wedge.
- Remember that brushing your hair for the first few days after surgery will be difficult so buy a long-handled brush before surgery.
- If you have children, we advise you to enlist some help from friends and/or family to assist your recovery process or make arrangements for childcare.
- If you have a pet that is a handful to look after it is wise to make sure there is someone else to take care of it, at least for a few days after surgery.
- Inform your GP of your intention to under surgery and your date of admission.
Question about your surgery?
If you have any questions or concerns about your surgery, or are having doubts about your surgery, get in touch with your surgeon who will be able to discuss your worries.
Our pre and post-operative care is uniquely personalised. With comprehensive pre-surgery care notes and detailed aftercare instructions you will enjoy a first-class experience. The amount of time you will need to take off work will be dependent upon the type of surgery and the nature of your job. Generally speaking, you will be ready to return to work in about one to two weeks dependant on your recovery.
Contact Us Today
MyBreast have the UK's finest cosmetic plastic surgeons and we're committed to offering you the highest standard of care, before, during and after your surgery. MyBreast offers free virtual consultations with your operating surgeon.
Please give us a call on 0203 642 1490 to book your consultation or pop your details on our form and one of our friendly patient advisors will call you to answer any questions you may have and book your appointment. We will give you all the information and time you need to think about your cosmetic surgery wishes. And, we'll be here, caring for you every step of the way.